Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hardware

Well, my first hardware upgrade arrived, I now am running 8 GB of RAM (the maximum available).  I was going to wait for a new hard drive as well, however I have figured out that I can get away with clearing one of my currently existing hard drives.  As such I have installed Sabayon one that drive.

Now it's worth noting that I am still running OS X primarily and will not be jumping ship to Linux for a little while.  I have a number of reasons, many of them personal, some are simple.  Primarily, I need a functional method of transferring the files I have from HFS+ to EXT4 drives, so if anyone has any elegant suggestions, I'd be happy to take them. 

Currently the only thing coming to mind is to use the mediocre HFS+ drivers in the Linux Kernel.  I have heard that these drivers don't work all too well, however I'm guessing read support is pretty stable, so that's currently my plan.  I'm thinking about trying to do it in VirtualBox/VMWare/Parallels/whatever I can use that will support raw drives, if I can manage to do "network shares" of my HFS+ drives.  Of course, there's still some reasons that I'm not jumping ship yet, but those will pass shortly.

And one of the best bits of news is that the Fireface 400 (the little sister to my unit) is now functional under FFADO.  Still not considered fully functional and stable, but that's okay.  It's a big step in the right direction.  Can't wait to get my unit working natively in Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment